Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I change the resolution of my TV if I use it as a second monitor?

I have a 2006 Dell Inspiron E1405 running Windows XP. I recently bought a new lcd hdTV. I have connected my laptop to my TV using an s-video cord. I can get a display on the TV, but I can only change the resolution between 800x600 and 1024x768. The TV has a resolution of 1366x768, but the automatic settings coming up on Display Properties won't let me choose a different resolution. As a result, everything looks fuzzy on the TV.



Is there any way for me to manually change the resolution options?How do I change the resolution of my TV if I use it as a second monitor?
Adam is right. S-video cannot put out higher resolution than 1024 pixcells. This is the maximum you can get. An alternate is HDMI but I think you laptop doesnt have it as you usually have S-video or HDMI. An alternate solution for your TV is if you have a PC connection on your TV which is a 19 pin vga socket (blue or black female socket on side of laptop). Look for its male socket equivalent on TV. If you have one then you can run a cable from laptop to TV and also use a audio cable from your headphone socket on laptop to TV for audio.How do I change the resolution of my TV if I use it as a second monitor?
it may have something to do with s-video not being able to handle a high resolution (not sure though). i have my hd tv plugged into my desktop computer as a second monitor using a HDMI cable and it works fine at 1366x768.