Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I fix the resolution on a monitor that is just showing an error screen?

Due to low-budget costs and a burned out computer, my father bought an eMachines EL1331G. (Yes, I know that is very low-end, so please do not comment about it.) It works perfectly fine. However, it doesn't seem to be too friendly with my monitor when it isn't in Safe Mode. My monitor shows this error screen: %26quot;PC Video resolution setting is out of range. Change setting to recommended resolution: 1280x1024@60Hz.%26quot;



My monitor is an HP Pavilion f1703. I have installed the recommended Driver upgrades from the eMachines and NVidia websites. I even installed self-adjustment and first aid tools specifically for this monitor from the HP website. I have tried changing the resolution in Safe Mode, but it only keeps the settings for Safe Mode.



My CPU is an AMD Athlon 2850e Processor. My video driver is a NVidia GeForce 6150 SE that has been Integrated. Finally, my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.



How do I make my computer display the resolution my monitor wants when the screen is black with an error message?How do I fix the resolution on a monitor that is just showing an error screen?
In safe mode, you won't be able to change the resolution (or set refresh rates). Safe mode boots XP using a generic VGA driver, not the graphics driver you have loaded; this allows you to recover from video-drivers-gone-wrong type problems.



Instead of booting into safe mode, you'll need to boot into VGA mode. This isn't very well documented as far as I can tell; as best as I can recall, you'll need to do the following:



Hit F8 twice right after the computer boots. You'll see more options than you'll typically find in the normal F8 boot menu.



One of the options is VGA mode; select that option. XP will boot like normal, except it'll force the video card to boot at 640x480 with 4 colors @ 60hz. From there you can change the display settings however you want. You won't even need to reboot to get out of it.How do I fix the resolution on a monitor that is just showing an error screen?
as you are using win 7

boot to safe mode using the F8 key and select

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Enable low resolution video (640 脳 480),,,,,,,,it's 6th in the list (explanation )



Starts Windows using your current video driver and using low resolution and refresh rate settings. You can use this mode to reset your display settings. For more information, see Change screen resolution and Correct monitor flicker (refresh rate).