Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Help! Enormous Computer Problem?

(this is on a friends computer, with the friend typing it) - I had a large computer virus, did a system recovery and the virus appeared to be gone. But the windows when I opened certain files would go off-screen. Screen resolution would not change, then I changed the 'video card' from the PCI to onboard (it was nvidia, but it didn't appear). Now my monitor remains in standby even when the computer is turned on. How can I change this back to PCI? And is their a way to set it to my main nvidia card?Help! Enormous Computer Problem?
Start by plugging your monitor into your on-board graphics so you can see what I'm going to tell you to do. Press delete after starting up your computer and hearing it POST (beeping noise at startup). This should put you in BIOS (you computer settings) there should be an option somewhere in the BIOS allowing you to change which video source initializes. Uncheck onboard, and instead check the one that says it will initialize a PCI card instead.