Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I change my monitor resolution to 1440 x 900 when using a switch between my computer and Xbox?

I recently got a 19' LCD monitor to use for my xbox and computer. The monitors preferred resolution is 1440 x 900. Everything works fine and I even got a switch so I don't have to always plug in between my computer and Xbox. My only problem is when I run my computer through the switch the option to change my resolution to 1440 x 900 goes away and all the other resolution I can choose don't look right. I can choose the resolution when I am directly plugged in and it even stays at the resolution if it is plugged in to the switch as long as I don't restart the computer. I have tried downloading the newest drivers for my video card and that didn't work. I guess my question is if anyone has any suggestions on how to change or keep my compter resolution at 1440 x 900.How do I change my monitor resolution to 1440 x 900 when using a switch between my computer and Xbox?
If you are on a windows computer, what is happening is when you are plugging the cable into the switch, it is making the computer think it is a different monitor that is plugged in.



Normally, a computer can recognize what monitor is attached and what resolutions to set it to. Since it is directly connected to the switch, it only detects the switch and selects generic monitor drivers.



You can change it through either display settings under the %26quot;advanced%26quot; tab or the device manager.



Simply go to %26quot;update driver%26quot; on the monitor properties screen. When it asks you to pick where the driver is, choose either %26quot;have disk%26quot; or %26quot;Select from list%26quot; depending on what version of windows.



Then just change it to one that allows you to use the resolution you want, usually %26quot;standard VGA monitor widescreen%26quot;.